CEO of gunmaker that produced Florida shooter’s weapon: ‘I share nation’s grief’

James Debney, boss of former Smith & Wesson, offers remarks as he blames ‘challenging market conditions’ for nosedive in profits

James Debney, the British-born chief executive of the company that made the rifle used by the gunman in the school shooting in Florida last month, on Thursday said he “shared the nation’s grief” over the massacre.

Announcing American Outdoor Brands’ (AOB) latest results, Debney called the shooting, which killed 17 at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas high school in Parkland, an “incomprehensible loss of life” but said the company would continue to support the rights of Americans to carry firearms.

Continue reading…

Worshippers clutching AR-15 rifles hold blessing ceremony at US church – video

Crown-wearing worshippers clutching AR-15 rifles drank holy wine and exchanged or renewed wedding vows in a commitment ceremony at a Pennsylvania church, prompting a nearby school to cancel classes. Attendees gripped the guns, which they had been urged to bring unloaded to the church in the rural Pocono Mountains, about 100 miles (160 km) north of Philadelphia. A spokesman for the church, now headed by the Rev Hyung Jin Moon said, ‘Each of us is called to use the power of the “rod of iron” not to arm or oppress as has been done in satanic kingdoms of this world, but to protect God’s children’, citing the Book of Revelation in the Bible.

Continue reading…

Trump says US to impose steel, aluminium tariffs next week – video

The US will start imposing tariffs of 25% on steel imports and 10% on imported aluminium next week, said Donald Trump. At a meeting with US industry officials at the White House, the president vowed to rebuild American steel and aluminium industries, saying they had been treated unfairly by other countries for decades.

Steel and aluminum tariffs trigger sharp US stock market sell-off

Continue reading…

Facebook ending News Feed experiment condemned as ‘Orwellian’

Company announces end to trial in which professional news posts were removed from users’ feeds in six countries

Facebook will end an experiment that removed professional news posts from users’ News Feed in six countries, after months of criticism that the “downright Orwellian” move was increasing fake news and misinformation on the platform.

Adam Mosseri, Facebook’s head of News Feed, said in a blogpost announcing the change that the experiment had been motivated by “consistent feedback” that people wanted to see more from friends and family and less from media organizations and businesses on the News Feed. Starting in October, the company created a separate feed called “Explore” for so-called public posts in Sri Lanka, Guatemala, Bolivia, Cambodia, Serbia and Slovakia.

Continue reading…